Camera & object movement in V-REP 3.2.0 rev6 inside a VM

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
SeveQ

Camera & object movement in V-REP 3.2.0 rev6 inside a VM

Post by SeveQ »

I'm running V-REP 3.2.0 on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS which itself runs inside a virtual machine (vmware). V-REP runs, albeit slowly (still acceptable). But the performance of V-REP itself isn't what I'm reporting here. It's the mouse! Or rather the effects that the mouse should have on objects inside the simulation. I can rotate objects pretty much like on a real system. But I can't move them. I have to move the mouse very far to see an effect on the objects position. It's like I can position objects in the simulation on a nanometer scale while moving the mouse several meters on my desk.

Furthermore camera movement is also bugged in the VM. I cannot rotate around an object.

You can have a look at the behavior in the following video, recorded in V-REP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/880 ... ording.avi

About the VM and the host:
VMWare 10.0.2, open-vmware installed, 3D acceleration enabled
Host: Core i7-3770k, 16GB RAM, Windows 8.1 64bit
Guest: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS), 8 cores enabled, 8GB RAM
VM mouse is not in gaming mode

If you need any further info, feel free to ask. I'll see what I can do.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Camera & object movement in V-REP 3.2.0 rev6 inside a VM

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

this is a problem linked to the graphic card driver. This can also happen on non-VM systems (e.g. some integrated intel GPU drivers). Usually, using a newer driver (or sometimes an older driver) solves the problem. In your case, try first to disable the 3D acceleration, to be sure it is linked to the driver.

Cheers

SeveQ

Post by SeveQ »

I've turned off 3D acceleration and now it works like supposed... so... is it a bug? A known issue? Something you're going to address in a future update?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

It is a bug, yes, but in the graphic card driver. Some do not properly support the OpenGl picking functionality.

Cheers

SeveQ

Post by SeveQ »

I see. I'll see if I can get in touch with the developers of the graphics driver to solve this problem. Thanks!