Lags when modifying values or checking boxes

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
Ataraxy

Lags when modifying values or checking boxes

Post by Ataraxy »

Hi,

When working on V-Rep, I sometimes have issues with dialogues, etc. For instance, I open the Scene Object Properties dialogue to change the Visibility parameters of an object, check wanted matching boxes, and if I close and then re-open the dialogue, the changes didn't apply. Other times it just uncheck itself after a few seconds while it's still open, if I happen to click elsewhere.

I can deal with it but the truth is : it's pretty annoying ^^

Is it a known problem ? I guess it could be related with the complexity of the scenes I work on or my configuration (which is not the best configuration to run 3D simulations with meshes and triangles everywhere).

Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Lags when modifying values or checking boxes

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

what V-REP version are you running, and what OS are you working with?

Cheers

Ataraxy

Post by Ataraxy »

I'm working under V-REP PRO EDU V 3.2.0 (rev6) 32bit (serial. version 18).

The OS is Windows 8.1 Pro. 64 bit.

I have the feeling that this is due to performances issues with my computer, however as I didn't found other people noticing that on the forum and as my computer isn't that old I posted this thread. :)

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Can you send us your scene so that we can have a look at it?

Cheers

Ataraxy

Post by Ataraxy »

I can't post the entire scene for confidentiality issues. However I posted a part of this scene in this topic : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3375

Which contains the script, robot and moving parts.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

The scene does not make any problems here. But: you have quite detailed meshes, which can drastically slow down things, especially if your graphic card is not that good.

Always try to simplify complex meshes as much as you can. Typically, when you look at the robots in the model library of V-REP, none contains more than 20'000 triangles (except maybe the Baxter model). This is also important, if, at a later stage, you want to add several other robots to your scene. In your robot, one link already contains more than 20'000 triangles.

In general, your whole scene should not contain more than 200'000-500'000 triangles.

There are various tools that allow you to simplify a mesh. For instance, MeshLab, or Polygon crunsher. While the first is free, the second is very powerful.

With MeshLab, import your mesh, then navigate to [Menu bar --> Filters --> Remeshing, Simplification and Reconstruction --> Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation]

Cheers