About laser range finder

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
Ahmed_Yacine

About laser range finder

Post by Ahmed_Yacine »

Hi all,
I am working on a simulation using laser scanner in vrep, and I have edited the corresponding script.
I think that the laser sensor should return distances to detected objects instead of points because of that is the reality.
an other thing i noticed that the simulated Hokuyo laser segments are not drawn correctly in some cases.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: About laser range finder

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the laser scanner is an example that returns X/Y/Z coordinates. But you are also free to slightly modify the script in order to return distances and angles.
About your display problem, can you post a screenshot and the scene? And, are you sure the problem is not related to the script that is displaying the segments?

Cheers

Ahmed_Yacine

Post by Ahmed_Yacine »

Hi
thank you for response
here are screenshots of a scene using a hokuyo laser scanner (i did not modify the child script)
as you can see, there are regions which the scanner does not detect.

cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

This is normal. The laser scanner model has a limited range, that you can however adjust. In the script simulation parameters, simply modify maxScanDistance (or modify that value in the attached child script).

You can also notice that the laser scanners based on vision sensors (e.g. Hokuyo URG 04LX UG01_Fast.ttm) are not geometrically exact, they are somewhat inaccurate, which you can notice on the screenshots you posted. If you need an accurate laser scanner model, then select one that is not based on vision sensors, but on proximity sensors (e.g. Hokuyo URG 04LX UG01.ttm).

Cheers

Ahmed_Yacine

Post by Ahmed_Yacine »

the simulation is performed using the accurate laser scanner (not the one based on vision sensor), it does not detect objects on parts of its detection field

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Then make sure that objects to be detected are also flagged as detectable.
And you might also want to adjust the detection range. For that, select the proximity sensor, and adjust its detection volume properties. You will also slightly have to adjust the child script around line 97.

Cheers