High resource usage while idle?

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
bessemermine

High resource usage while idle?

Post by bessemermine »

It seems like V-REP is using a fair amount of resources while just sitting idle, without a simulation running or paused.
This is particularly noticable on my desktop computer, where I have a GPU with a fan in it, which can clearly demonstrate the current load level via the noisy fan.

I'd guess that maybe it is rendering the idle frame very quickly, as fast as possible? The title bar seems to indicate "25 ms", or only around 40 fps.
I recall a similar issue coming up in StarCraft 2, of all places, where the menu screen had no frame rate limiter set on it, and because it was a simple rendering task, it would end up pegging the graphics chipset at very high load, as it tried to render at several hundred fps.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: High resource usage while idle?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

You are right, when idle, V-REP will try to keep around 20 frames per second. We modified/improved this in following way:
Above points 1,3 and 4 will be available in V-REP release 3.0.4

Cheers

bessemermine

Post by bessemermine »

Any expected availability date for v3.0.4 ?
I have found a sort-of workaround, by a driver-level hack for my NVidia card that allows for a global frame limiter, but there's a lot of small usability quirks with the OS and other programs associated with using this hack. And for my laptop, that only has an Intel Integrated Graphics from a few years ago, so such global limit exists.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

we hope to bring version 3.0.4 out within 2 weeks (around July 8th 2013)

Cheers