Depth Sensor Seeing Through Walls

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
davicarnauba84

Depth Sensor Seeing Through Walls

Post by davicarnauba84 »

Hello,

I'm using Kinect and when I approximate it to a Wall (Cuboid) it can see through the wall. See the image below.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Depth Sensor Seeing Through Walls

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

this is not a bug. You can adjust the near clipping plane of your vision sensor.

Cheers

davicarnauba84

Post by davicarnauba84 »

This is different from what happens in real world.
When using a real kinect when the distance is below near_clipping_plane the depth image should be black.

Uli_v

Post by Uli_v »

I just found that I have the same issue with looking through objects. I agree with davicarnauba84. In the real world, if an object is too close to the depth sensor, then the depth readings become 0 (at least for the Intel Realsense SR300). The problem is that the shapes are not solid (they are meshes). So if one surface of the mesh is too close to the sensor, then you look inside the shape.

I think a work around for me could be to set the near clipping distance to 0 and handle values between 0 and original near clipping plane myself.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

I wouldn't set the clipping plane at 0, otherwise you will lose quite a lot of precision in your depth buffer. Simply set it small enough. As a rule of thumb, use a visible area (i.e. far-near clipping plane) as small as possible, for the highest depth map precision.

Cheers