Position limitations

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
streets

Position limitations

Post by streets »

If I create a vanilla scene (File->new scene) and add a primitive shape (cuboid) to the scene 2 meters above the resizable floor, I get two different behaviors depending on the position of the floor and cuboid. At (0.0, 0.0, zpos) the cube just falls down regularly. If I move the cuboid and floor to (1000.0, 10.0, 2.0) the cuboid will not fall any more. I tried a second cuboid at (1000.0, 0.17670, 2.0) which still falls (while the other one is just in the air). At (1000.0, 0.17680, 2.0) it is not falling any more. I tried with different selections of the free physics engines (bullet 2.83, 2.78 and ODE) but I got the same behavior. Is there any documentation on the limitations of the simulation world? Is this a limitation, am I doing something wrong?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Position limitations

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

this is normal - imaging a scene with many mobile robots that can eventually drop off the floor into the void: we do not want to continue dynamically simulating those robots, since this would only take precious processing power. So after a specific distance from the origin, they simply stop falling or won't be dynamically simulation.
You can adjust that distance in system/usrset.txt with variable dynamicActivityRange.

Cheers

streets

Re: Position limitations

Post by streets »

Hi,

this makes actually a lot of sense. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers