Segmentation fault when calling simxSetObjectPosition from python

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
Jendker

Segmentation fault when calling simxSetObjectPosition from python

Post by Jendker »

I am using the newest version of V-REP 3.6.0, rev. 1 under Ubuntu 16.04 and currently I am experiencing the segmentation fault in Python program some time after starting the program, up to maximal 5 minutes after starting the script.

Commenting line:

Code: Select all

vrep.simxSetObjectPosition(self.clientID, dummy_handle, -1, dummy_position_list, vrep.simx_opmode_oneshot)
solves the issue.
I am calling this function repeatedly (around 5 Hz) to adjust the target dummy position in the python ROS node callback function.

Python output when the program crashes:
Process finished with exit code 139 (interrupted by signal 11: SIGSEGV)

When debugging with gdb I am only getting on crash:
Thread 1 "python" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
strlen () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/strlen.S:106
106 ../sysdeps/x86_64/strlen.S: No such file or directory.

I made sure that I am using appropriate vrep library files of remote API binding. If there is anything more I should report to make it easier for you to reproduce the problem please let me know.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Segmentation fault when calling simxSetObjectPosition from python

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

are you sure that the crash is directly linked to the instruction you commented?
Are you able to write a minimalistic python script that triggers the crash?

Cheers

Jendker

Post by Jendker »

Thank you for your reply! I will try to do it as soon as possible, probably beginning of next week.

Jendker

Post by Jendker »

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem in minimalistic script, sorry for not checking this out before opening a report.
Please treat this thread as closed, I will open a new one with the question about the possible solution in the appropriate forum.