Baxter

Requests or suggestions for new features
neuronz

Baxter

Post by neuronz »

Any plans of adding the Baxter robot ( from rethinkrobotics.com )?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Baxter

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

yes, this is on the todo-list. You can accelerate the process if:
  • you provide us with the CAD data. The robot needs to be in its zero configuration. Max. 5'000 - 20'000 triangles in total.
  • you provide us with the joint ranges, max. force/torques, link masses/inertias.
  • we will build the initial model.
  • you fine-tune the model.
Cheers

neuronz

Re: Baxter

Post by neuronz »

Rethink Robotics have supplied a URDF file (see email below) of Baxter that I have since imported into V-Rep as follows:
- Download from github.
- Convert the paths in the URDF file to relative paths by deleting all occurrences of the text 'baxter_description/'
- Import the URDF using the V-Rep 'URDF Import' Plugin with the 'Convex decompose non-convex collision links' option disabled.

The only problem appears to be that when the V-Rep Simulation is started, the shoulder joints break.

Here is the reply from Rethink Robotics:

+++
Dear Bruce,

I hope this email finds you well. My name is Chris Harbert, and I am the Manager of Solutions Sales here at Rethink Robotics. Thank you for your inquiry - we are excited about your interest to develop a model for the V-rep community!

While it may not be immediately plug-n-play, the best source of content is our URDF for Baxter, located here: https://github.com/RethinkRobotics/baxt ... ption/urdf

Note - if you have not already done so, you will need a free github account to pull the URDF code.

Please do keep us informed of your efforts, and do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you again for your interest in Baxter.

--

. . .
Chris Harbert | Manager, Solutions Sales
Rethink Robotics, Inc

+++