Locking objects

Requests or suggestions for new features
geerten

Locking objects

Post by geerten »

It would be nice if I could 'lock' objects. When I've setup a great part of the model, and are changing things around it, I find it quite frustrating to be extra careful I do not select extra objects in the surroundings. It would be nice to be able to lock an object, and when trying to modify it (for example together with other objects) to get a warning that I'm trying to modify a locked object.

Thanks.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Locking objects

Post by coppelia »

You can somehow protect your objects inside of a model, but for that you first need to define a model.
Make sure you read this section of the user manual.

Then, in the object properties dialog, make sure to check "select base of model instead" in order to avoid always selecting individual objects in your model.

Cheers

geerten

Post by geerten »

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.

But what is then the base object? Should I randomly pick a part of the model as base object? That sounds a bit strange..A part of the model is obviously not representative for the entire model, since it is a 'part' of the model..!

What I would think is that I would select a set of objects, and then do something along the lines of "create model of selection", which would add a base node, which is the parent of all the objects.

Can you elaborate a bit more on that section of the user manual?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello Geerten,

In V-REP, a model can be any part of a hierarchial structure (refer to the scene hierarchy), given that all objects share the same ancestor at some point (i.e. parent of parent of parent..., etc.). That same ancestor is called the model base if it is appropriately flagged.

So in your case, just decide which object is the ancestor of all objects you wish to include in your model definition. Then select that object, and flag it as model base.

You cannot define a model in V-REP that has two (or more) separate hierarchy tree branches, since that would represent two or more (a priori) unrelated scene elements.

But a model can contain several sub-models (and sub-models can contain several sub-sub-models, etc.)

Cheers