Save Format and Version Control

Requests or suggestions for new features
nikolaus

Save Format and Version Control

Post by nikolaus »

Would it be possible to allow saving in a text-based format that would work better for version control?
Most specifically, it would be really nice to see what's changed in a child script. More generally, it would be cool if the whole scene were represented textually.
Thanks!

ayberkozgur

Re: Save Format and Version Control

Post by ayberkozgur »

I too need this very much. It is really annoying to enter all model parameters in GUI boxes:D

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

I see the point.

We'll see what we can do in future!

Cheers

nikolaus

Post by nikolaus »

Much appreciated! Thanks!

Prometheus87

Version Control

Post by Prometheus87 »

*push*
Some kind of version management, like svn keyword substituion would help us a lot. Especially into models!
I make various models for my company and partners. Currently, I attach an additional script to the object and write my version number into it. If this could be replaced by an svn substituion keyword, then it would be awesome.

For scenes or complete deliverables, I track the version in the name of scene itself. Not very pretty, however easy to use when talking to customers, partners or colleagues.
For scripts, I write also the version number into a commented line within itself.

And with the whole DNA thing, it gets really messy. It would be nice if there would be a shared, common solution for everything which needs version control.

Best regards
Prometheus

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you have several mechanisms that you can try: if a scene contains several identical instances of a same model, then save the model as a model, and load the various model instances programmatically, in the initialization phase of a non-threaded child script, and position them accordingly.

The other thing is related to scripts: instead of writing your code inside of the scripts, put following inside of all your scripts:

Code: Select all

local f = loadfile('myEmbeddedScriptCode.lua')
return f()
This way you can keep the things that often change (i.e. the code) completely separated from the scene file.
Additionally, the V-REP files are packed binaries, which makes parsing/comparing them difficult. You can disable packing (but they will still be binary) in the system/usrset.txt configuration file.

Cheers

ahundt

Post by ahundt »

Related discussion on text based save file format:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2319