Shortcuts

Requests or suggestions for new features
geerten

Shortcuts

Post by geerten »

Hi,

I would like to have some shortcuts for frequent used operations or windows.

Maybe they are already present, but they are not shown next to the menu items (my usual way of finding out).

So it would be nice if they were added, or if already present, please make insightful which shortcuts do what.

Thanks.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Shortcuts

Post by coppelia »

Hello Geerten,

Currently there are no shortcuts. The problem is that there are around 110 different dialogs. Which should be available via shortcut?

Maybe you didn't notice, but the important dialogs can be reached either by:

- Clicking a toolbar button
- Double-clicking a scene hierarchy icon

Cheers

nikolaus

Post by nikolaus »

It would be quite nice to have a shortcut for "save", though! I frequently hit cmd+s to save, forgetting that it doesn't do anything.
Thanks!

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Right! Could be useful!!

Cheers

geerten

Post by geerten »

Hi,

First I agree on the save-shortcut, that would be useful!

And furthermore, I understand you can't have shortcuts for every dialog, but you can have them for frequently used things. I also know the toolbars and clicking on icons, but I prefer shortcuts, because that enables me too decrease the amount of distance I have to travel with my mouse.

I am thinking about the following:
- a shortcut equivalent of the scrollwheel click (this enables me to work quicker with a Wacom)
- a shortcut for opening the scene object properties
- being able to modify the selection in the scene hierarchy with keys (Ctrl+A -> select all, arrows up and down move selection one up and down, shift + arrow up and down -> extends selection). Similar to the selection functionality of most treeviews (Windows Explorer for example).
- shortcut for starting and stopping simulation

These are the first things that come to mind.

Thanks.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

a few additional shortcuts were implemented, and will be available in release 3.0.2, available around mid-March 2013.

Cheers

geerten

Post by geerten »

Ok, thanks!

What about the keyboard selection options of the treeview? That would make my life much easier (I have scenes with a lot of objects..).

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

That will have to wait a bit more, sorry!

Cheers

geerten

Post by geerten »

Thanks for the added shortcuts! I'm trying to alter the already settled default behavior to using the shortcuts. However, the shortcut for toggling between toggle between 1) normal, 2) object translation and 3) object rotation mouse modus does not go 'round'. When it's on rotation mode, it does not switch back to normal. Could you change it to that? That would make it synchronous to the scroll wheel click.

Thanks.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

Actually it goes round. However the focus is taken by the "rotation" dialog, so the main window cannot process the key anymore. Just click once in the main window, then you can go round again. We'll have a look to alter this behaviour, since it is true that it is annoying.

Cheers