Connector for robots

Requests or suggestions for new features
Taher hek

Connector for robots

Post by Taher hek »

Hi,
I really want to use connector in robots. This device is implemented in other simulator like webots but I couldn't find it in V-REP.
So I think it's good to add such devices to V-REP.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Connector for robots

Post by coppelia »

Hi,

what is a connector? Or how to you use it? What is it good for?

Cheers

Taher hek

Post by Taher hek »

coppelia wrote:Hi,

what is a connector? Or how to you use it? What is it good for?

Cheers
Hi,
A connector is a really useful device that let two object connect to each other. In weobots there is an example for connector. A robot connects to another robot via a connector. Check this example and the documentation from this link:
http://www.cyberbotics.com/guide/section3.2.php

In some projects you want a robot take a grab or grasp some object but you don't want to waste your time by complexity of grasping.

My thesis in university is about some multi-robot system which transport a heavy object. In my project I don't want to use a gripper because its too complicated. A robot with a gripper can't grip an object from any point it wants. So if I use a gripper I should check a lot of things like the proper position to grasp the object.
But by using a connector robot grasp object when it's arm is close enough to object. It can grasp from any point it wants. It's better for me because in my thesis it is not important how a robot grasp an object .

Good luck

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You have the same functionality in V-REP, provided in various forms:
If your object is dynamic, then you might have to make it temporarily static in order to use the first method. Refer to simSetModelProperty and simSetObjectIntParameter(objectHandle,3003,1)

Make sure you have understood this section also.

Cheers

Taher hek

Post by Taher hek »

coppelia wrote:You have the same functionality in V-REP, provided in various forms:
  • you can attach an object to another object via the simSetObjectParent API function.
  • you can link two dynamic objects via linked dummies. Refer to simSetLinkDummy function.
If your object is dynamic, then you might have to make it temporarily static in order to use the first method. Refer to simSetModelProperty and simSetObjectIntParameter(objectHandle,3003,1)

Make sure you have understood this section also.

Cheers
Thanks for answering.
As I found out in your descriptions, I should change an object parent to connect it to a another object but, As i said i have a multi robot system which transport one object. It means more than one robot should connect to an object to transport it.

Is it possible to attach one static object to more than one dynamic object ?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You mean a box that is carried at the same time by several robots? What happens if the two robots move farther away? Will the box fall? Float in the air? Or stay with one robot only? Not sure I understand...

In your scenario, where an object should be carried in a non-physical sense (i.e. fake grasping), you can attach the object to the first robot, then you can attach it to the second robot if the second robot should take over. And so on. But one robot at a given time will transport the object.

Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You can also use a pre-made model that does something similar: Models/components/grippers/suction pad.ttm
Have a look at following demo scenes that use that suction pad: blobDetectionWithPickAndPlace.ttt, robotLanguageControl.ttt

Taher hek

Post by Taher hek »

coppelia wrote:You mean a box that is carried at the same time by several robots? What happens if the two robots move farther away? Will the box fall? Float in the air? Or stay with one robot only? Not sure I understand...

In your scenario, where an object should be carried in a non-physical sense (i.e. fake grasping), you can attach the object to the first robot, then you can attach it to the second robot if the second robot should take over. And so on. But one robot at a given time will transport the object.

Cheers
This is a multi-robot system, it needs coordination and collaboration. If two robots move farther away, the box will fall because of gravity.
In this project the box is too heavy, so one robot can't carry it and several robots should carry it.