Exporting mesh with texture

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
alex.cani

Exporting mesh with texture

Post by alex.cani »

Hi! I have imported a mesh from a .obj file. That mesh includes reference to texture files (.tif and .jpg) which V-REP imports perfectly. Now I want to export this mesh (or a subset of its components) as .obj. I can export just fine (through the File->Export->Selected shapes option) but when opening into another mesh manipulation software (in this case Meshlab) texture information is not present.

Analyzing the .obj file I can see the materials are being referenced in the file, but no reference is being made to the image files which effectively contains the textures.

Is there any way to export a textured mesh?

fferri

Re: Exporting mesh with texture

Post by fferri »

This has been asked and answered a few days ago:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7320

alex.cani

Post by alex.cani »

I don't really see how that answer applies to either my problem or the other post's author (which is indeed the same).

simGetShapeViz returns information in the way that it is represented and stored inside V-REP, my concern is about exporting it to .obj while keeping the materials references to the image files that contain them, which the exporting tool was supposed to do, but doesn't.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

this is currently not possible, unfortunately. The way to do it would be to write the exporter yourself (as an add-on or plugin), based on sim.getShapeViz.

Cheers