Insert objects in cutted holes

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Veloci-REPtor

Insert objects in cutted holes

Post by Veloci-REPtor »

Hi,

I'm working on robot to use tools, who should be able to drill holes in walls and then hammer nails in these holes.

My problem is, that when I cut holes in a respondable wall using a mill, I can't insert another respondable object (like a nail) in these holes. Is there any option to really remove the cutted parts or does a mill only change the visual appearance of an object?

If I can't insert objects in cutted holes, do you have any advice on how I could tackle this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Insert objects in cutted holes

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the mesh cutting functionality works only on shapes that are not dynamically enabled, i.e. it will have no effect on the dynamic behaviour. Your situation is quite complex, and what one would usually do in that situation is following:
  • create a wall that is composed by several blocks.
  • when you drill a hole, fake the drilling by simply replacing one block with an existing block that contains a hole
Additionally, holes are always delicate, since most physics engines do not support negative volumes. This is the case of ODE and Bullet. The Vortex engine supports holes, and you could simply use the Vortex engine for that task. Otherwise, you will have to approximate the hole with several cuboids.
Another option is to use non-pure, non-convex meshes for the holes. But in that case stability of you simulation will be reduced, and calculation time will be increased.

Cheers