How can I "dress" my objects?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Ristridin

How can I "dress" my objects?

Post by Ristridin »

Hi!

I'd like to make my simulation look nicer by colouring the objects more complex then with just one colour.
The only possibility I found til now is dividing the surface of my objects into triangles and colour them one by one.
I can't belive that this is the only possibillity. Is it possible for example to import pictures as surface for an object?
How is it possible to make a surface look like the platform of the youbot-model for example?

Hope you can help me with that :)

Ristridin

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How can I "dress" my objects?

Post by coppelia »

Hello Ristridin,

you will have to use textures. For that you have several possibilities:
  • the easiest is probably to import the shapes together with their textures. Currently, this is supported via the OBJ fileformat.
  • you can also apply a texture to an existing shape. For that, select the shape (make sure the shape is not grouped), and in the shape properties, click Adjust texture. Then you will be able to load and apply the texture you need via the textures dialog.
  • you can also apply a simple texture to obtain a little bit more realistic-looking colors (e.g. with some noise in them). For that, click Quick textures (selection) in the shape properties.
Textures in V-REP can also be dynamic, meaning that you can use the image generated by a vision sensor and apply it as a texture to one or several shapes.

Cheers

Ristridin

Re: How can I "dress" my objects?

Post by Ristridin »

Hi!

Thank you, I'll try it like this :)

Ristridin