Import modell from blender

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Stalkarn

Import modell from blender

Post by Stalkarn »

Hello,
I made a model in blender that I want to import to v-rep. I exported my modell as an .obj-file and if I import this to e.g. unity it works fine. When I import it to v-rep the angle of the modell is not correct as you can see on the picture. Any ideas why this happens and how to fix it? Dont mind the uggly modell it is just a test.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Import modell from blender

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the image is not visible. What do you mean with the angles of the model are not correct? Can you send us a link to the obj file so that we can have a look at it?

Cheers

Stalkarn

Post by Stalkarn »

The supposed front of the modell should be the direction of the x-axis but when I import it to v-rep it is not. First of all, even if I choose z should be up in blender when I export and choose z up when I import in v-rep, y is up. And second the x-axis is some degrees to the right or left of the "front" of the modell.
Here is a link to the obj, I hope it works: https://www.mediafire.com/?8ns0jirswa6yhnc

I didn't see the picture either but if I left-clicked it I could show it.

PS. Im sorry for the mediafire adverticement, I didnt know it would show that.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Ok, I see what you mean.

In V-REP, imported objects get a different reference frame. This for two reasons:
  • most file formats (including the OBJ fileformat) do not have a frame or axis information for a mesh
  • in V-REP you can reorient the frame of the shapes.
But in the end, the mesh gets imported correctly and displays correctly. Then you have to be aware that some applications work with the absolute Y-axis up, others with the absoluzte Z-axis up (which is the case of V-REP and Blender). And finally, an OBJ file (as with many other fileformats) there is no information about units. So it is always a guess game when importing, and that's why you have an Import options dialog that pops open during the import operation..

Cheers

Stalkarn

Post by Stalkarn »

Ok, tanks.
I know see that I can change the frame. But when I do so, as soon as I enter editmode and save the changes I made with the frame is reverted back.

Regards

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

When leaving the edit mode, the shape reference frame is recalculated, since it will always try to be the smallest bounding box around the shape.

The shape reference should not have any function. If you need a constant reference frame, use a dummy attached to the shape.

Cheers