Can we import our Solidworks robot designs into V-REP?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
alphaUser

Can we import our Solidworks robot designs into V-REP?

Post by alphaUser »

Is that possible? What formats are supported?

Best regards

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Can we import our Solidworks robot designs into V-REP?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

Yes you can do it, but you will have to export your design to some V-REP compatible format first. V-REP currently supports:

DXF
3DS (Windows only)
OBJ
STL
COLLADA
URDF

V-REP could also be customized via a plugin or add-on to import other formats. Refer to the COLLADA or URDF plugin project files in the "programming" folder.

Cheers

parriaza

Post by parriaza »

Do you know if there is a way to export an assembly from SolidWorks into V-REP? So far, I've only found ways of importing my design part by part...

Thanks

Snork_svk

Post by Snork_svk »

I am doing this so that, export the stationary parts (assembly) as a one model in *STL
It is necessary to give careful, becauste solidworks exports with the relatively large number of polygons.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Normally we recommend to export similar-sized parts together, or with the same export settings. Otherwise you might have a too high triangle count on large objects (e.g. robot body), and too low triangle count on small objects (e.g. small screws). Also, try not to have robot models larger than 20'000-30'000 triangles, so as to have a large margin to add a complex environment with other models (some graphic cards handle many triangles with pain)

When importing several objects as one file, you can automatically divide them during the import operation, or you can use the function [Menu bar --> Edit --> Grouping/merging --> Divide selected shapes]

Cheers