Can't find "remoteApi.dll" for matlab

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
mdam

Can't find "remoteApi.dll" for matlab

Post by mdam »

Hi,

1. I am trying to interface V-REP with Matlab in Windows 7.

I found a way which is via the remote API. So, I was checking this link: http://www.coppeliarobotics.com/helpFil ... htm#matlab. But, I don't have "remoteApi.dll" file in "programming/remoteApiBindings/matlab" directory. How can I get this file?

2. Also, is there any other way to control robots in V-REP using a Matlab program?

Thanks.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Can't find "remoteApi.dll" for matlab

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the required library is located in programming/remoteApiBindings/lib/lib.
You can also use a custom connection to communicate with Matlab, but I woudln't recommend it since it would probably be slower and less flexible.

Cheers

mdam

Post by mdam »

coppelia wrote:Hello,

the required library is located in programming/remoteApiBindings/lib/lib.
You can also use a custom connection to communicate with Matlab, but I woudln't recommend it since it would probably be slower and less flexible.

Cheers
Thanks. I found the file.

Now I am facing another problem. I am trying to understand how the tutorial "controlTypeExamples" works. I have also read "External controller tutorial" at http://www.coppeliarobotics.com/helpFil ... torial.htm.

My question is from where the robot is being controlled? In which file should the code be written on the client so that the bubbleRob can be controlled by the client application via the remote api application? Can anyone please give me the step-by-step procedure for this?

Thanks.

xepost

Post by xepost »

Hi mdam,

Maybe you can take a look at the code provided on http://ulgrobotics.github.io/trs/ It is quite easy to read.

And one more thing you need to add this line to a child script in vrep
simExtRemoteApiStart(19999)

Make sure the simpleTest.m is working properly. Pm me if you need more help.

Bests,

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

your question was about Matlab, and in that case you require the remote API library to make the connection from Matlab.
The demo scenes/ControlTypeExamples.ttt illustrates one robot (the purple one) that is being controlled via the remote API, from an external application (bubbleRobClient). The project files for that application are located in programming/bubbleRobClient. The application is a C/C++ application that doesn't rely on the remote API library, since the remote API library is directly compiled with that application.

In the end, the child script attached to the purple robot will start a remote API server service (with simExtRemoteApiStart), then launch bubbleRobClient with appropriate arguments (such as the port where to connect, and the various object handles). Once the application was launched, it will try to connect to the previously started remote API server service.

Cheers

mdam

Post by mdam »

I could understand that the purple robot will start a remote API server service with simExtRemoteApiStart and then launch bubbleRobClient. But from where is this being called? I have renamed all bubbleRobClient named files from bubbleRobClient to bubbleRobClient1 to check which one is being called. But simulation runs without any error.
If I want to modify robot's movement, which file should I modify? Changing bubbleRobClient.cpp has no effect.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

If you change bubbleRobClient.cpp, you will have to recompile the project. Then place the new executable into the V-REP folder.

Cheers