How to change the floor size

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
mdam

How to change the floor size

Post by mdam »

I tried to change the floor size using scale option. It scales but there are blank spaces after every other tile. How to change the floor size?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How to change the floor size

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

since V-REp 3.1.3 you should have a floor that you can resize by simply selecting it in the scene hierarchy. Then a scaling dialog will appear and you'll be able to resize it.

Cheers

mdam

Post by mdam »

My version is 3.1.3 and for new files I can see the scaling dialog. But I want to change the floorplan size for controlTypeExamples.ttt which has DefaultFloor, not ResizableFloor_5_25.
How can I edit this floor size?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

ah, ok, it is not the customizable floor, but a simple floor.

The easiest would be to remove the floor, and add a new floor that can be customized in size (models/infrastructure/floors). Or, you can drag the following model into the scene: models/tools/isometric scaling tool.ttm. Then select your floor in the scene, and scale it with the dialog that appears. Be aware that this tool only scales one object at a time, or a model at a time (which is the case of the floor). For the walls you have a visible and invisible object, that are not part of a model, so in that case you will have to scale both objects separately.

Cheers

nex

Post by nex »

Clicking a resizable floor in the scene hierarchy shows the options windows to set the size. But after closing it, I can't make it reappear.
Is there any trick?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

When closing that dialog, the script is erased, i.e. the floor is made static. You can change that behaviour by editing the customization script attached to the floor.

Cheers

nex

Post by nex »

Oh, I see, this is quite surprising. I could change the script to add button called "Set size permanently", if this change could be added in later versions of V-Rep.

Yet, it's probably even better to just remove the closeEventHandler() for the resizeable floors, because it is pretty unintuitive (and uncommon) that closing a window would cause deletion of a script, and you might want to change the floors size later again, but just get the window out of the way.