Changed Object Axis (Solidworks to VREP)

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
DannyYeong

Changed Object Axis (Solidworks to VREP)

Post by DannyYeong »

Hi,

I'm trying to import a shape made from Solidworks to VREP. The drawing's axis changed when it's in VREP. Here's my STL file:

http://www.filedropper.com/quadmodel2

Below shows the Solidwork's axis reference. Once imported, the axis of my drawing changed. What might be the problem?

http://www.filedropper.com/untitled_38

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Changed Object Axis (Solidworks to VREP)

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

your STL file (and most mesh file formats) does not contain any information about reference frames for the exported shapes. It just contains vertices and indices.
In any case, during import, V-REP will try to find a bounding box for each shape, that minimizes the volume of the bounding box. Then, the reference frame will always be located at the center of the shape (i.e. {(maxX+minX)/2,(maxY+minY)/2,(maxZ+minZ)/2}). But you can change the orientation of the reference frame relative to the shape with [Menu bar --> Edit --> Reorient bounding box --> ...].

Cheers

DannyYeong

Re: Changed Object Axis (Solidworks to VREP)

Post by DannyYeong »

coppelia wrote:Hello,

your STL file (and most mesh file formats) does not contain any information about reference frames for the exported shapes. It just contains vertices and indices.
In any case, during import, V-REP will try to find a bounding box for each shape, that minimizes the volume of the bounding box. Then, the reference frame will always be located at the center of the shape (i.e. {(maxX+minX)/2,(maxY+minY)/2,(maxZ+minZ)/2}). But you can change the orientation of the reference frame relative to the shape with [Menu bar --> Edit --> Reorient bounding box --> ...].

Cheers
Thanks, that option worked! It reoriented itself based on the world's frame now :)