Haptic Data Retrieve

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Haptic Data Retrieve

Post by coppelia »

It seems that the plugin is successfully loaded. But the function simExtCHAI3D_start fails (see the status bar for that error message).
What kind of device are you using? And is that device working fine with the CHAI3D demo programs?

Oh, and can you try to change the value specificGpuTweak to true in file system/usrset.txt? This way, the full message box text should be visible.

Cheers

prasanna.routray

Post by prasanna.routray »

yes it fails to start.

the message is 'Lua API call error: [string "SCRIPT hapticDevice"]:302: Initialization failed. (simExtCHAI3D_start)'. what can I do?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You still haven't answered my previous questions:

What kind of device are you using? And is that device working fine with the CHAI3D demo programs?

Cheers

prasanna.routray

Post by prasanna.routray »

Can you please tell me how can I check the device to be confirmed that it works with CHAI3D demo programs?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You will have to check that yourself. The CHAI3D libraries come with many many demo applications. Read also the user manual of the CHAI3D package. And check out if your haptic device is supported by CHAI3D.

Cheers

gokul

Post by gokul »

When I am connecting Novit Falcon device to V-Rep, It shows an error message "Lua API call error: [string "SCRIPT hapticDevice"]:302: Initialization failed. (simExtCHAI3D_start)" so the device is failed to initialize. The device is working fine with Chai3D.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

On what platform are you running V-REP? Did you compile/recompile the Chai3D plugin for V-REP yourself?
Also, we also had quite some trouble in initializing the Novint device some times (in the plugin development process), you had to move the cursor a few times forward/backward for the initialization procedure to succeed. But this shouldn't be the case anymore.

Cheers

gokul

Post by gokul »

Yah.The issue resolved after installing Force Dimension SDK.

Tobias

Post by Tobias »

Hello everybody,
It seems I run in the same problem. My device is a SenseAble Phantom Omni with Firewire. It works perfectly with Chai3D as well as the OpenHaptic examples. I am running on Winodws 7 64-bit. I tried the initial .dll that was present after installation of V-Rep. It loaded successfully but got the error: Lua API call error: [string "SCRIPT hapticDevice"]:302: Initialization failed. (simExtCHAI3D_start)). I already followed the Chai3D installation guide to recompile the .dll . After doing that using Visual Studio with x64 architecture for building, the library could not be loaded. I tried to copy glu32.dll with no success. After building with x32 architecture, the library could be loaded but the device could not be initiallized (Lua API call error: [string "SCRIPT hapticDevice"]:302: Initialization failed. (simExtCHAI3D_start) ).

I am not sure if I made some mistake with gut32.dll as I did not load (regarding to the console window) but that should not affect device initialization or am I worng?

Is there a possibility to see if the communication between Chai3d and V-Rep works or what commands are sended?

Thank your very much,
Tobi

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello Tobi,

the plugin should be built as a 32-bit dll. And glu32.dll is very probably not the reason (and is not needed anymore I believe).
An initialization fail comes from the routine hapticConnect where it tries to access the first available haptic device, here:

Code: Select all

if (!DeviceHandler->getDevice(device, deviceIndex))
{
  SceneLock->release();
  return false;
}
Where DeviceHandler is a cHapticDeviceHandler object (a CHAI3D haptic device handler).

Cheers