how to get vrep run

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Rui

how to get vrep run

Post by Rui »

I'm just getting started with V_REP under windows7(64), and I've get vrep( V-REP PRO EDU) installed. Also, with the guidance of user manual, source code was compiled, through QTcreator3.5.1 (QT 5.5.1 MSVC 2013, 32BIT). A v_rep.dll file and a libv_rep.a file were generated.
Turn to previous posts, I compiled the client application (vrep) with QTcreator, and copy-and-paste the two files into the ..\programming\build-vrep-Desktop_Qt_5_5_1_MinGW_32bit-Debug\debug folder where vrep.exe was build. But when I start vrep.exe, it will give a notification:

This application failed to start beacuse it could not find or load the Qt plateform plugin "windows".

What's wrong with it? The path? The missing *.dll(e.g. v_repWin.dll)?

Sorry for my English and thank you so much in advance!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: how to get vrep run

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

it seems you are missing some Qt-related libraries. When you look at the V-REP installation directory in Windows, you will see a lot of files like Qt5Core.dll, Qt5Gui.dll, etc. Also, other Qt libraries are located under other directories (such as platforms or imageformats). Those are required.

Cheers

Rui

Post by Rui »

coppelia wrote:Hello,

it seems you are missing some Qt-related libraries. When you look at the V-REP installation directory in Windows, you will see a lot of files like Qt5Core.dll, Qt5Gui.dll, etc. Also, other Qt libraries are located under other directories (such as platforms or imageformats). Those are required.

Cheers
Thank you for your attention, I checked it out and all these Qt-related dlls are in the very directory.
I replaced the installed vrep.exe with the compiled one, and it was running well.
But when I replaced the v_rep.dll with the compiled one, it crashed. So, what's the problem?
And, what's the significance of building v_rep.dll, I'm really confused now.

thank you!

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

V-REP can basically be seen as a library of functions. You cannot run that library directly, but you need a client application (e.g. an executable) that will link to that library, and call its functions appropriately.

So, it seems that you managed to have the library correctly loaded, but now it crashes. What did you do to have it loaded? You can also try to enable printing debug info by changing settings in file system/usrset.txt (be aware that turning debugging info on could drastically slow down V-REP, so never forget to turn this back off).

Cheers

Rui

Post by Rui »

coppelia wrote:V-REP can basically be seen as a library of functions. You cannot run that library directly, but you need a client application (e.g. an executable) that will link to that library, and call its functions appropriately.

So, it seems that you managed to have the library correctly loaded, but now it crashes. What did you do to have it loaded? You can also try to enable printing debug info by changing settings in file system/usrset.txt (be aware that turning debugging info on could drastically slow down V-REP, so never forget to turn this back off).

Cheers
thanks again!

I compiled the client-application and copy it into the directory where v_rep.dll locates. The APP loaded the library, but before the splash screen a notification reads:

Could not find or correctly load the video compression library.

Then the vrep run with something wrong, I can't create a scene nor can I load one. it seems that some essential libraries are required. Looking forward to your inspiration.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

The video compression library is not required. When you say you cannot load a scene, what does that mean exactly? Is there a menu bar? can you select a file, but the file doesn't get loaded? Any error message in the status bar or in the console window?

Cheers

Rui

Post by Rui »

coppelia wrote:The video compression library is not required. When you say you cannot load a scene, what does that mean exactly? Is there a menu bar? can you select a file, but the file doesn't get loaded? Any error message in the status bar or in the console window?

Cheers
The entire window works properly, as well as menus. I can select a file, but the scene just won't load, v_rep crashes here.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Before it crashes, does the debugging info tell you something? Make sure to enable the output of debugging info in file system/usrset.txt.

Cheers

Rui

Post by Rui »

coppelia wrote:Before it crashes, does the debugging info tell you something? Make sure to enable the output of debugging info in file system/usrset.txt.

Cheers
thank you again!
Is there any way to run simulation in my own VS project, I mean a project which can load the *.ttt files and perform the simulation. What should I do?

Wilsonator

Post by Wilsonator »

Maybe I am missing something... But is there a reason you aren't using the pre-compiled binary provided here http://www.coppeliarobotics.com/downloads.html. Just click on the windows icon, should avoid most of your issues.

Sounds like your last question would be best solved from the Remote API. See http://www.coppeliarobotics.com/helpFil ... erview.htm. The simulation will run in V-rep window, but you will have control and access to data in your c++ application (I assume you meant a visual studio project programmed in c++).