How to get rid of orphan edges in mesh?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
manip

How to get rid of orphan edges in mesh?

Post by manip »

Hello,

I am trying to simulate peg-in-hole manipulation task and have some problems with mesh models.
I've created a cylinder with a hole by setting negative volume that is supported by Vortex. But it did not robustly respond to a peg which was a primitive cylinder model, especially when peg pushes the top (cap) of the cylinder a little away from the central axis.
So I had to convert primitive models to meshes and got better results with more meshes.

However, the following message always show up.

Code: Select all

VxWarning{0}: VxTriangleMeshData::buildHalfEdges: there were 128 orphan edges. Internal orphan edges may cause invalid collision response.
VxInfo{12}: VindsStep: Using threaded version.
- How can I fix orphan edges? I only used the operation [Subdivide largest triangles] to get more meshes.
- Additionally, I saw that a scene with more meshes takes longer time to start simulation; VxWarning{0} message appears after initialization and first execution of sim_childscriptcall_actuation, and after ~3 sec VxInfo{12} shows up, then sim_childscriptcall_sensing is called. Is there any way to accelerate this process other than using less meshes?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How to get rid of orphan edges in mesh?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

what you see there is a message generated by the Vortex engine. It seems the mesh is not appropriately conditionned for Vortex. My guess is that if you had a water-tight mesh, these messages would not appear.
What Vortex is doing, it is doing an initial processing stage for the mesh, in order to accelerate future mesh access during simulation. I think that you can only accelerate that stage by reducing the number of vertices/triangles in the mesh.

For faster computation and better stability, it is generally recommended to use convex meshes, or convex-decomposed meshes. For holes, this is not that easy, but a hole can be approximated with a few cubes for instance.

Cheers

manip

Re: How to get rid of orphan edges in mesh?

Post by manip »

Thanks for your kind explanation.