Dealing with artifacts for meshes with multiple components

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Matt

Dealing with artifacts for meshes with multiple components

Post by Matt »

Hi there,

It's almost inevitable, but when dealing with object meshes with multiple components, there's a lot of interference between many of the patterns.

Here's a link to a google drive with some sample images: link

Are there any tips for dealing with conflicting meshes/colours? I've looked at keeping identical vertices/triangles, grouping vs. merging all shapes, as well as exporting then importing the mesh. Is it doable through VREP (automatically?) or should I defer to a different program for processing BEFORE loading them in?

Matt

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Dealing with artifacts for meshes with multiple componen

Post by coppelia »

Hello Matt,

this is normal, since you have two (almost) identical meshes with two different colors: they simply overlap, and the arifacts are linked to OpenGl doing Z-fighting. If the two mesh are identical, then you don't really have a solution, except for changing the color of one, or removing one of the two. But: why do you have two identical overlapping shapes? What is the purpose?

If they are really meant to be like that, and they are slightly different, then you can adjust the camera near/far clipping planes (basically reducing the z-buffer range) for less z-fighting.

Cheers

Matt

Re: Dealing with artifacts for meshes with multiple componen

Post by Matt »

Well TIL :)

Thanks for the response. The meshes are coming from a large online repository (and as such, the shapes themselves won't quite be created in the same way). From the mug example from before, it looks like a separate component was made to fill in the gap at the bottom link.

Changing the near/far clipping planes doesn't appear to solve the problem. It looks like I might need to spend some time with them ;)

Matt