How to use Geomagic TOUCH X to control the robot in V-REP

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
youngsea

How to use Geomagic TOUCH X to control the robot in V-REP

Post by youngsea »

Hi~I want to use a TOUCH X to control the kuka robot in the V-REP.Now,in my computer,I have installed two software,Geomagic Touch Setup and Geomagic Touch Diagnostic and I don't know how to connect them with V-REP. Besides,I am a new here and I want to know what should I do in the next step.Thank you very much.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How to use Geomagic TOUCH X to control the robot in V-RE

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you will have to download and compile/install the CHAI3D package. In that package, you have a V-REP plugin project that also needs to be compiled. Then, you can try the demo Models/other/Interface to haptic device.ttm.

Cheers

youngsea

Post by youngsea »

Hi~My computer operating system is Windows 64 bit.
I have downloaded the package named chai3d-3.1.1-multiplatform.According to the instructions,I have completed the following steps:
A.Compilation
1.open the main CHAI3D-V-REP VisualStudio project file called CHAI3D-V-REP-VS2015.sln located in the installation root folder
2.select the build configuration and target architecture (V-REP requires Win32):
3.build CHAI3D-V-REP and all examples (Ctrl+Shift+B)
B.Copying the shared library and trying the examples
1.copy the v_repExtCHAI3D.dll shared library (and all other files) from ~/chai3d/modules/V-REP/bin/win-Win32 to your V-REP base installation.
(I have copied 8 files to C:\Program Files (x86)\V-REP3\V-REP_PRO_EDU)
2.load an example V-REP scene (e.g. ./01-V-REP-shapes.ttt) into V-REP
(I load 'Interface to haptic device.ttt' into V-REP)
3.start the V-REP simulation

When I start the V-REP simulation,the message is ‘Lua API call error: [string "SCRIPT hapticDevice"]:302: Initialization failed. (simExtCHAI3D_start)’.
After that,I have downloaded the sdk-3.6.0.2684-win-x64(force dimension sdk) and installed it in my computer.
However,when I started the simulation again ,the problem has not been solved.
So,how can I solve this problem.thanks~

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

When you start V-REP, does the console window say something about a plugin that was not correctly loaded? Does it say that the CHAI3D plugin was successfully loaded in the console?

Normally, with an error Initialization failed, the problem lies in the CHAI3D code, or even in the device driver code.

Cheers

youngsea

Post by youngsea »

Hi~coppelia.When I open the file 'Interface to haptic device.ttm',the message in console window say 'Add-on script 'vrepAddOnScript-addOnScriptDemo.lua' was loaded'.Is this normal?
And there are other files in the package 'chai3d-3.1.1-multiplatform'.I just use the files in the V-REP folder,and then copy some of them to the V-REP base installation.Is this the right steps?
Maybe there are some problem lying in the CHAI3D code or device driver code.How could I solve them?
Thanks~

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

In the package CHAI3D-3-1.1-multiplatform you will find project files for the V-REP plugin. You need to compile that plugin. Refer to the instructions in the package. Once compiled, you need to place the created v_repExtCHAI3D.dll in the V-REP folder, then start V-REP. The console should indicate that the CHAI3D plugin was successfully loaded.

Cheers

youngsea

Post by youngsea »

Hi~After installing the OpenHaptics framework from Geomagic,the example can work successfully.Now I want to control the kuka iiwa robot,and I want konw some code which
can be used control the robot by haptic device.Could you give me some guide or example?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

There are two different examples:
  • Models/other/interface to haptic device.ttm
  • Scenes/hapticRobot.ttt
Cheers