about dynamics simulations

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
sehoon

about dynamics simulations

Post by sehoon »

Hi.

I am considering using V-rep as a dynamics simulator, and starting with a simple 2 link manipulator dynamics.
I found a weird thing during simulations which looks like the following figure.

I put a joint between two links and tried to put a certain torque, but it ended up like this. The yellow and the blue rods indicate a rotating joint, but here they are not concentric. This happens often during simulations.
The joint is under the lower link and the upper link is under the joint in the hierarchy.

My simulation condition was
1. using ODE
2. Very accurate
3. dt = 0.2ms and ppf=1

How can I fix it?
Or is it a bad idea to use V-rep as a dynamics simulator since it is a kinematics simulator?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: about dynamics simulations

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the image is unfortunately not visible, but I suspect that you are talking about joints breaking apart during dynamic simulation.

This is directly linked to the ODE or Bullet engines, and is not related to V-REP. It is very important to follow some design considerations when using one of those physics engines. In particular, in your case, design considerations 6, 7 and 8.

We really recommend for everyone preparing dynamics simulations that they very carefully read the whole content on this page.

Cheers

sehoon

Re: about dynamics simulations

Post by sehoon »

Thank you.
That explains a lot.
I will take a look at the manual.