How do I compile the plugins for VREP and ROS?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Space

How do I compile the plugins for VREP and ROS?

Post by Space »

Hi I am trying to work on ROS and VREP for my simulation.
But it seems like my VREP doesn't load the ROS plugins and after following many tutorials, i am getting tired.
Can you please let me know how to do it? also as I said i followed the Coppelia Ros tutorials and many others!!

thanks!!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How do I compile the plugins for VREP and ROS?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

can you tell me what your console looks like just after starting V-REP? Also, make sure that rosCore is running before you start V-REP.

Cheers

Space

Post by Space »

Hi,

Yes roscore is already running when i launch VREP here the snapshots :

here is the dropbox url : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nehiwlb5ua8l ... eFwta?dl=0

thanks

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Well, I noticed 2 things:
  • You are not using the last V-REP release (i.e. 3.3.1). The new and improved ROS interface is available only from that release on. So make sure to download and install it.
  • The console doesn't mention anything about a ROS interface. This is normal since you will have to put the plugin in place (in last release, the compiled ROS plugins are located in folder compiledRosPlugins.
Cheers

Space

Post by Space »

Hi
thank you for your replay
i downloaded the last version of VREP but what do i have to do with the plugins? where to put them?

thank you!

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You have to place the plugin in the main V-REP folder, where vrep.sh and libv_rep.so are located.

The ROS tutorial has changed a little bit since release 3.3.1, so make sure to read it again.

Cheers

Space

Post by Space »

Hi,

i downloaded and install teh new version and ROS is looaded but the plugins are not. i tried to follow your tutorial but really not clear for a beginner on ubuntu!!

so how do i make sure that ros is aware about the plugins and that roscd reconized the plugin

kleinash

Post by kleinash »

Space wrote:Hi,

i downloaded and install teh new version and ROS is looaded but the plugins are not. i tried to follow your tutorial but really not clear for a beginner on ubuntu!!

so how do i make sure that ros is aware about the plugins and that roscd reconized the plugin
Hi.

You need to have gone through the ros tutorials to answer that question. If you have a catkin_ws/src you should be able to run catkin_make in the catkin_ws/. Then you have to tell your environment that you are working in your catkin_ws by running $ source catkin_ws/devel/setup.bash then you copy all the ros_packages into the catkin_ws/src/ folder and go back up to catkin_ws and run catkin_make again. But even before you run catkin_make you should be able to roscd ...