Rope simulation with load attached

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
bracco23

Rope simulation with load attached

Post by bracco23 »

Hello,

I was trying to simulate a cable, cable that will be attached to a drone to carry a load.

However, i cannot seem to achieve a good behaviour for the cable when something heavy is attached.

I tried putting cilinders in connection with spherical joints, and that works fine. I also tried with different shapes and with revolute joints, but when i attach a load the rope always starts to get into pieces, leaving spaces.

All joints are in force/torque mode, without motor enabled.

How can i get a good rope which will behave good with high loads?

this is a simple test, with the two kinds of ropes i tried both with and without load. And a lil setup to move them to see how they behave.

https://mega.nz/#!KZB2jagK!VpnrmGZl6ImN ... 1lmcPVbjfI

EDIT: I'm using Bullet 2.83. the static behaviour i'm looking for is the same Vortex shows me, but i can't get a full version of Vortex so that's not an option.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Rope simulation with load attached

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

this is due to limitations with Bullet/ODE, and to a certain extent also Newton. The only solution is to adjust the masses and inertias of your rope links. Make sure masses and inertias are not too small, and that there are not too large mass/inertia differences in a connected chain. Read more here, in the design considerations 7-8
It is also a good idea to add some damping to the rope links.

Cheers

E0222591

Post by E0222591 »

Hello,

I am new to V-REP and currently working on a project to simulate a cable binding robot. Is it possible to simulate a steel cable which interacts with the environment in V-REP (it is meant to be dragged, gripped, bent and knocked with the manipulators of the robot)?

HitSShuo

Post by HitSShuo »

Hello, since the limitation is due to physical Engine. Is it possible to integrate new engine such as Sofa https://www.sofa-framework.org/ in the Vrep?