import with .stl

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
garrott

import with .stl

Post by garrott » 27 Jul 2013, 21:50

Hello:

I use solid works to design prototipes, but when i try to put this models in vrep in stl format i can't ungroup the model.
Someone can divide for part a model in stl files succefully?
I discover that when i use skecthup( google cad program) i can build the prototipe ang save in a dxf format and vrep can divide this model
but works on scketchup its very tired.

Thanks for your time and i wait an answer.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: import with .stl

Post by coppelia » 27 Jul 2013, 22:29

Hello,

You can only divide a simple random shape with [Menu bar --> Edit --> Grouping / merging --> divide selected shapes] if some of its mesh components do not share any same vertices. So it seems that Solidworks exports the meshes in a different way than Sketchup. There are probably several export options in Solidworks. What you can also do is to individually export meshes in Solidworks, and import them together by selecting all the files at the same time.

Cheers

garrott

Post by garrott » 12 Aug 2013, 04:33

thanks for your reply, export stl files individuality works perfectly.

best regards

Oz@SIT

Post by Oz@SIT » 10 Jul 2014, 10:23

Hello:

In my case using Autodesk Inventor, I saved parts separated in stl files. I imported the stl files simultaneously and V-REP seemed not to import the files with the same import options (scale and orientation). So to get the model as I expect, I need to import each stl file one by one, which is not convenient for me.

I was wondering if it is possible to import all the files with the same import options.

Thanks,

Oz

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia » 10 Jul 2014, 12:35

Hello Oz,

you are right, this has however been corrected for next release (V3.1.3).

In the mean time you can either export all parts into a single file, or programmatically import the files via simImportMesh or simImportShape.

Cheers

Oz@SIT

Post by Oz@SIT » 11 Jul 2014, 03:21

Thanks.
I have successfully imported the stl files!
I look forward to the next version ^^V

Thanks again,

Oz