Impact force on collision

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Justus

Impact force on collision

Post by Justus » 24 Jan 2017, 10:12

Hi,

We are simulating conveyor belts. Our goal is to control the conveyor so that there are only minimal/low-impact collisions between the objects on the conveyors. We can count the collisions but this says little on impact (objects collide with each other with different speeds).

Question: Is there a way to measure the impact force when objects are colliding?

Regards,
Justus

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Impact force on collision

Post by coppelia » 25 Jan 2017, 08:55

Hello Justus,

normally, in order to measure a force/torque, you would need a force sensor attached between two shapes. But there is another way, which is a little bit more troublesome:

simGetContactInfo lets you parse all the contact pairs in one simulation step. Since a simulation step is usually composed by 10 dynamic simulation steps, you have 10 different lists to parse (unless you set the simulation time to the same as the dynamics simulation step size).

Have a look how the model Models/other/contact display.ttm works

Cheers

Justus

Post by Justus » 25 Jan 2017, 13:29

Great tip! Visualizing force works. Something I cannot explain is the following:

I used "models/other/contact display.ttm", drew a sphere with mass 1 KG at about 10 cm above the floor. When it lands on the floor it shows the big impact, which then stabilizes to ~9.81 (Z-force). However, every ~100ms the force goes up to ~21.6 for just 1 measurement (out of the 10 made during one sim. step). This only happens with the Bullet physics engines.

Do you know what is happening?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia » 26 Jan 2017, 10:51

You will notice that if you switch the engine, the result will be slightly different. This is directly linked to how the various engines are handling the contact. But on average, you should have a constant force (e.g. in one dyn. engine calc. step, the force is 0, in the next it would be twice of what is expected).
I would simply average the force over one full simulation step (i.e. 10 dyn. engine calc. steps, if you use the default settings).

Cheers