A Simulating Expliner the Power Line Inspection Robot

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
lcqwe132

A Simulating Expliner the Power Line Inspection Robot

Post by lcqwe132 »

Hello,
I wondering what's the easiest way to achieve a simulating Expliner the Power Line Inspection Robot like this:
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKi-dtP ... sbXM1TwdP-

I'm using the model in V-rep:
I have a controller algorithm that control the robot to achieve A power line inspection task just same as above video,and i need A robot, A unlimited length Power line, one or more clips, which could be working together. Can someone point me to the steps I need to follow to make the robot move on the Line and wave its flying saw on the arm so that the robot achieves those function Inspection and tree pruning by saw in v-rep?

thank you in advance.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: A Simulating Expliner the Power Line Inspection Robot

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you will have to build a clean model of your robot. This includes several topics. The best start is with this tutorial.
You will have to give a special attention to the rollers, since they need to roll smoothly over the cable cylinder, and I guess they have a cone-shape. Cone-shapes are currently only supported via the Bullet or Newton engines.

Cheers

lcqwe132

Post by lcqwe132 »

that's the problem!
How do I make the rollers roll over the cable cylinder, Is there any example scenes(models) or code with this as I am doing now ?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You will first have to create the cable with a very long cylinder. Then you need to first build the wheel of the robot from two conic pure shapes, that you group into one single shape. Then attach the wheel to a revolute joint (which should be in force/torque mode, with motor enabled). Then attach that joint to the first link of the robot, etc.

I think your question is too broad, I am not sure with what part you are struggling.

Cheers

lcqwe132

Post by lcqwe132 »

yes, my question is primary because I'm new user for v-rep. And thanks for your detailed explanation about this problem, I already have some thinking for achieve this work. Maybe I can share my results in this post in the future if thing goes well.
thank you very much!

lcqwe132

Post by lcqwe132 »

By the way, Can I ask where the cone-shape is, I couldn't find a cone-shape that you told me from [Add--primitive shape--...] or anyelse place, Is that because of my software version PRO EDU? Do I should buy a commercial version for this work to get a cone-shape with simulation?
thank you sir again.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

The cone-shape is basically a special version of a cylinder. In [Menu bar --> Add --> Primitive shape --> Cylinder], make sure you click the cone item.

Cheers

lcqwe132

Post by lcqwe132 »

I see it, thanks.
Last edited by lcqwe132 on 09 Mar 2017, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

lcqwe132

Post by lcqwe132 »

Hello,I'm come back again with puzzles. there's my robot scenes files:

Here I already construct a manipulator successfully and it does work, i.e. from A(tip) move to B(target) smoothly and dynamically.But the LineCross robot's another part with some wheels for climb over powerline can't work as expected, it crashed when simulation start, producing some strange dynamic effects.
Do you know this is caused by what?how to fixed it? i wanna make whole robot(later will connect the manipulator with robot_base) roll along power line. thank you for your help in advance.

i just modified my model, now the new scene file:
IT still unstable so that can not keep itself position on the line when simulation start.
Last edited by lcqwe132 on 13 Mar 2017, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You have several problems in your scene:
  • Some masses are way too small.
  • Most inertias are also way too small
  • You have collisions inside of the robot. You can visualize those in the general dynamics properties
Make sure you have carefully read and understood this page, mainly design considerations 6,7,8.

Cheers