How can I change the angle resolution of the fastHokuyo sensor ?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
NicoleChen

How can I change the angle resolution of the fastHokuyo sensor ?

Post by NicoleChen »

Hi,

I'm using the fastHokuyo as the laser scanner. And I have tried to change the perspective angle and also the resolution X/Y but the points of data I got kept the same.

For example, I set the perspective angle to be 135 deg (or 90 deg) and get data from two sensors (i.e. scan angle is 270deg/180deg ). The resolution X/Y was set to be 256/1 (or 512/1). Though the range of the scan angle changed when I change the perspective angle, the number of points I received kept the same, to be specified, 684 points.

Do you have any idea for it? Is it possible to fixed that?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Nicole

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How can I change the angle resolution of the fastHokuyo sensor ?

Post by coppelia »

Hello Nicole,

that sensor is a little bit more complicated because it relies on two vision sensors. In order to adjust the scanning angle, replace line 15 of the attached child script with:

Code: Select all

scanningAngle=90 -- 90 degrees scan angle
For the number of points, you need to adjust the vision sensor's filter component Extract coordinates from work image. If you set Point count along X to be 100 for each sensor, then you will obtain 200 measurement rays. At that time, you can also reduce a little bit the sensor resolution (for faster operation, but the number of sensing rays will be the same).

Cheers