Dual Manipulation - Compliant Mode

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
javl0p

Dual Manipulation - Compliant Mode

Post by javl0p »

Good Evening!

I am working on the following project:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi6fv4ras3z9b ... 4.ttt?dl=0

in which two iiwa robots are used to lift and turn an object by using friction. (grasping the object by opposite sides)

The way it is done in the scene, both robots approach to the object and start to "squeeze" it. A force loop stops the squeezing when a certain grasping force is reached. This results in an object being grasped by its opposite sides, in a pseudo-motion controlled way. I know this is not the best approach, since the holding is rather unstable.

I would like to implement in VREP the following approaches:

1. One of the robots applying the force and the other one "following". In a master-slave way.

2. Both robots actuating in a compliance mode, similar to the stiffness control available when programming a real iiwa robot. This control approach allows the iiwa to react to certain forces by adapting its position proportionally to the magnitude of the exerted force.

I don't know if any of this approaches could succesfully be implemented in VREP. For the moment I wasn't able to find a suitable solution. Any comments are welcome.

Thank you very much!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Dual Manipulation - Compliant Mode

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

for what you want to do there is no out-of-the-box solution ready in V-REP. You will have to handle this via code inside of child scripts and/or joint control callback scripts. But the task is not trivial.

Cheers