OpenGL Shadows (Not using pov-ray)

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
sjames

OpenGL Shadows (Not using pov-ray)

Post by sjames »

Hi,

Im looking to get simple shadows rendered using OpenGL. I am aware of the pov-ray plugin, but I do not need such high quality images (and it is slower). Im also aware that you can hook in your own renderer.

Is there an easy way to extend the existing OpenGL rendering code used in VREP so that I can add some shadow rendering extensions? Or does this feature already exists, and I have just missed it

Thank you! :)

sjames

Re: OpenGL Shadows (Not using pov-ray)

Post by sjames »

-
Last edited by sjames on 02 Jun 2017, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

sjames

Post by sjames »

Another option I have is to use the 'External Renderer' and add shadowing to that code. For some reason, the image produced by the external renderer works fine on my Mac, but when I use the same version on Ubuntu, it just renders nothing (white). I am using the same file and same version of VREP on both platforms.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

we are planning to have a new rendering engine within 1 year hopefully. Until then, your best option is, as you mentioned it, to modify/rewrite the external renderer plugin.

Cheers

sjames

Post by sjames »

Hi coppelia,

I was wondering if there are any updates with integrated shadow support?
I did end up implementing my own in the end (about a year ago), but it would be great to have official support!

Thanks

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

unfortunately we always have more crucial things on the todo list. Out of curiosity, how did you implemnent the shadows?

Cheers