Mobile Wheeled Platform Directional Control Problem

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
ag_raed

Mobile Wheeled Platform Directional Control Problem

Postby ag_raed » 11 Jul 2017, 15:42

Hello people,

I am having a Mobile platform that support a robotic arm which I would like to control the motion!
I am meant to set up the motion ( speed/direction .. ) in order to establish at the end the autonomous navigation and path planning model.

The mobile platform consists of 4 Wheels, each have a revolute joint in Force/Torque Mode.

I have written a function that from the wanted mobile platform linear/rotational speed, I derive each of the required wheel joint angular velocities as shows my code:

Code: Select all

-- Mobile Platform Inits
Linear_Velocity = 1 -- Vm in m/s
Rotational_Velocity = 0 -- Wm in °/s
Wheels_Diameter = 0.12 -- d in m
Wheels_Distance = 0.546 -- Distance between one left and right wheel in m
Time_Of_Motion = 5 -- Movie the mobile for 5 seconds

function MoveRobot(Vm,Wm,l,d)

Wr = (Vm + Wm*l/2)/d
Wl = (Vm - Wm*l/2)/d

--simSetThreadSwitchTiming(50)
simAddStatusbarMessage('Moving Robot ..')
simSetExplicitHandling(IK_Clean_Group,1)
simAddStatusbarMessage('IK desactivated')
simSetJointTargetVelocity(Joint_Wheel_1,Wr)
simSetJointTargetVelocity(Joint_Wheel_2,Wr)
simSetJointTargetVelocity(Joint_Wheel_3,Wl)
simSetJointTargetVelocity(Joint_Wheel_4,Wl)
simWait(Time_Of_Motion)
simAddStatusbarMessage('Stopping robot ..')
simSetJointTargetVelocity(Joint_Wheel_1,-Wr)
simSetJointTargetVelocity(Joint_Wheel_2,-Wr)
simSetJointTargetVelocity(Joint_Wheel_3,-Wl)
simSetJointTargetVelocity(Joint_Wheel_4,-Wl)
--simSetExplicitHandling(IK_Clean_Group,0)
simAddStatusbarMessage('IK Re activated again')

end 

Problem:

When I run the simulation, the mobile platform motion is inconsistent! the direction isn't linear even though the 4 wheels are spinning with the same angular velocities!
When I leave the simulation for 20 seconds, the mobile platform seems to follow a circular path instead of a linear path!

Anybody have an idea how to fix this problem? Is it about the thread execution time? After all, of course, it is clear that I want that the 4 wheels start spinning at the same time!

V Rep model:

https://www.file-upload.com/fgknhr22s3pr

Thanks for any kind of support!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Mobile Wheeled Platform Directional Control Problem

Postby coppelia » 13 Jul 2017, 12:36

Hello,
have a look at your other post and my reply. Another factor that is probably influencing the trajectory of your mobile platform is probably that it is hyperstatic (4 contact point with the ground). This is sometimes problematic, since in simulation you don't have the natural compliance of links, as you would have in reality.
Make sure to also read this post for instance. Also, check out the demo model Models/examples/simple ackermann steering.ttm

Cheers

ag_raed

Re: Mobile Wheeled Platform Directional Control Problem

Postby ag_raed » 20 Jul 2017, 14:58

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!
I have inspired myself of the SImple Steering Ackerman. ttm example model, I have then added 4 springs damper to each wheel, and for the front wheels, I have added a revolute joint for steering on each front wheel!

My goal here is to model the Swerve drive wheels and write their controller algorithm, so every wheel shall be modeled using 2 joints, one for rotating and one for steering!

I think I have done exactly like what has been done for the SImple Steering Ackerman. ttm, regarding stiffness/mass/inertia and applied thoroughly the design consideration 8 and 9 of Dynamic Simulation Design.

Problem:

- When I run the simulation and deactivate the script, the robot seems to lose stability and tilt on the in the front.
- I have tried to give to the robot a high mass ( 3000 kg instead of 200 kg ), but the robot still tilting to the front, but very high mass make the robot tilt to the back instead ...
- I don't want to stay looking for the proper mass to give to the robot in order to get stability because this isn't realistic!

Why does the robot lose stability and tilt? What do I miss !?

Scene file on:

https://files.fm/u/p49cpge5

Thanks for any help!

Return to “General questions”