Control a real NAO robot using remote API functions

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
ghodki

Control a real NAO robot using remote API functions

Post by ghodki »

Hello,

I have worked out on a specific movement of NAO's hands in V-REP using IK module. Now, I want to perform the behavior on a real NAO platform. I have got 'PYTHON SDK' and 'CHOREGRAPHE', a desktop application to control the behavior of a real or simulated NAO by adding python code. Now the follow up questions are:

1. It is possible to connect the virtual and real NAO using remote API functions but, it seems working one way i.e. we could manipulate the joints of NAO in V-REP by writing codes on client side (real NAO) but not vice-versa. Is it possible to do so? if Yes, please guide me through the steps.

2. Since the remote API does not constitute the IK functionality, which is generally accessible through embedded script (regular API) therefore, could it be possible to execute IK on NAO in V-REP and simultaneously on the real NAO from the client side.

3. How can I mimic the behavior of NAO in V-REP on a real NAO. (addition to query 1)

NOTE: We could export the IK from V-REP and use it on a real NAO or we can add a remote API function that may call the IK module from client side. (suggestions) i would appreciate if you advise other alternatives.

Regards

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Control a real NAO robot using remote API functions

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

about your questions:

1. it also works the other way round, but the remote API client will always remain the client. So if you want to send something to the remote API client, the remote API client has to make a request, then stream those requested values. Or simply listen to a specific signal, and if that signal contains a command the client understands, execute that command.
2. You already answered your own question: if you need to execute the same kind of IK calculations outside of V-REP, then use the external kinematics
3. that question is too robot-specific for us, since we are no NAO experts (nor do we have a NAO robot or software)

Cheers

ghodki

Re: Control a real NAO robot using remote API functions

Post by ghodki »

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,

Regards,
Ghodki