Model of Robotiq 2 Finger 140mm gripper

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
rockyduan94

Model of Robotiq 2 Finger 140mm gripper

Post by rockyduan94 »

I'd like to use V-REP to simulate the Robotiq 2-Finger 140mm gripper. I found that there's a model file provided by V-REP only for the 85mm version. I'm curious if there's a model for the 140mm gripper available? Alternatively, I could try to build the model ourselves but I'm puzzled by some of the components in the 85mm model file. For instance, what are the use of all the dummy objects? I understand that some of them are needed to enforce the connected joints. But there seems to be much more dummy objects than I expected. Some help on this would be greatly appreciated!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Model of Robotiq 2 Finger 140mm gripper

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the Robotiq gripper in the 85mm version is quite complex to model, because of the way it operates, and because of physics engine stability issues. So you will notice that for a 2 finger gripper, you could model your gripper with two different approaches:
  • A joint or actuator in charge for each of the fingers. This would be to the physics engine like eating sushi with a chopstick in each hand: difficult and not stable.
  • A joint or actuator in charge for closing the fingers, and another joint for keeping the fingers centered. This would be to the physics engine like eating sushi with the two chopsticks in one hand: much easier and stable.
If you look at how the other grippers were modeled, you'll notice that most of them use the second approach, which makes modeling more complex but grasping more stable.

Cheers