roller coaster

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Twister

roller coaster

Post by Twister »

Hello,

i try to build a scene for a simple roller coaster. (a sphere on the path)
I want to begin with a path which is parent of a dummy (follow parent path).
Now i want to set the dummy property (Free on path).
What will be the next steps?
After all i want to start the dummy at top of the path and the dummy will go down along the path by grafity (not by setting velocity).
Is it possible to do with V-REP 3.4.0?

Regards
Twister

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: roller coaster

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

in order to achieve this, you can't use a path object: a path object can move an object along the path's trajectory in a rigid, non-dynamic manner. But since you want gravity to influence the sphere, it is a little bit more complicated:

you will have to create a non-static, respondable sphere, and a static, respondable rail system. For the rail system, try to use a succession of several pure cuboids, grouped inside of a compound shape. You can manually build this (which is quite a lot of work), or you can try to dynamically generate this in a similar way as shown in this example.

On the other hand, you could still use a path object, and programmatically move the sphere along the path, by doing the dynamics calculations yourself (you will simply need a balance between potential and kinetic energy for your sphere). There however, you will now be able to have your sphere interact with anything else (e.g. an obstacle on the rail system).

Cheers