Is it not possible to import obj/stl files in V-REP on ubuntu?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
RobAtLab

Is it not possible to import obj/stl files in V-REP on ubuntu?

Post by RobAtLab »

I've downloaded V-REP (Edu version, v3.4.0, downloaded as the latest available version last week) onto my ubuntu (16.04 LTS I think and can check if it helps) system. I've been having a go at defining custom robots after spending some time reading through various tutorials in V-REP's documentation. Yet I've found only "COLLADA import/export" appearing as a mesh import option under "plugins" in the menu bar. I also see SDF, URDF and older URDF import. The documentation has led me to expect to have obj and stl import options too, these would be helpful as it would save me having to convert CAD files between formats so much before I import to V-REP. Have obj and stl import ben removed from the latest V-REP versions, or are they not available for ubuntu? I know 3ds import is on windows systems only but thought obj and stl import should be available on linux devices.

Thanks

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Is it not possible to import obj/stl files in V-REP on ubuntu?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

Collada, URDF and SDF formats are supported via an import plugin. The other importers are integrated in V-REP and can be found under the File menu item.

Cheers

efirvida

Post by efirvida »

To import obj or stl [ file -> import -> import mesh]

RobAtLab

Post by RobAtLab »

Thanks for clarifying that, foolish of me not to notice the option under "file".