Beginner question for importing objects and getting proper dynamic properties

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Yu-Ru Huang

Beginner question for importing objects and getting proper dynamic properties

Post by Yu-Ru Huang »

Hello. I am trying to perform grasping tasks on different objects using the V-REP simulator. However when I load object meshes such as those provided in this UCBerkeley's Dex-Net database: https://berkeley.app.box.com/s/w6bmvvkp ... ytkndmm7cn, object models appear fine until I check the Body is respondable box, a warning dialog box appears stating that the body I made respondable is not a pure shape. When I check the Body is dynamic box and press the simulation button, some bizarre motion(object flying off, sinking off the surface, etc) takes place. What can I do to make different objects behave in their proper dynamical behavior? I am also curious whether this happens when I use other simulators such as Gazebo or ARGoS as well.
Thanks!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Beginner question for importing objects and getting proper dynamic properties

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

please read this page carefully (mainly design considerations 1-3).
btw, V-REP doesn't handle the dynamic aspect of a simulation, the various available physics engines do (i.e. Bullet, ODE, Vortex or Newton)

Cheers

Yu-Ru Huang

Re: Beginner question for importing objects and getting proper dynamic properties

Post by Yu-Ru Huang »

Hello. It looks like I would have to make these design considerations for each different object I would like to grasp.
Thank you very much for the answer!