Moving a gripper to a position with a given Velocity

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
mash2612

Moving a gripper to a position with a given Velocity

Post by mash2612 » 03 Sep 2018, 07:14

Hi,

I am trying to move an arm to given position with a given velocity. I want to do it as a two step process to simplify my work and make it easy for debugging. All this is to be done via remote API(Python).

Step:1 I consider only the gripper(3D CAD or any of the simple pre defined models) which is not connected to any robotic base. I want to move it to a position (which I will be sending via the API(x,y,z)). When I use the predefined 'simxSetObjectPosition' it moves to the position instantaneously. What I would like to have is to see its motion in between as well. It may interpolate the in between points on its own but it should traverse this with a certain velocity as it happens in real world. Is there a way to do it?

Step:2 When I have this working in the first step, I will attach it to UR5 base. And use IK module to determine joint positions as well for the corresponding gripper position.
Does this make sense?

Best
mash

fferri

Re: Moving a gripper to a position with a given Velocity

Post by fferri » 04 Sep 2018, 16:36

mash2612 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 07:14
I consider only the gripper(3D CAD or any of the simple pre defined models) which is not connected to any robotic base. I want to move it to a position (which I will be sending via the API(x,y,z)). When I use the predefined 'simxSetObjectPosition' it moves to the position instantaneously. What I would like to have is to see its motion in between as well. It may interpolate the in between points on its own but it should traverse this with a certain velocity as it happens in real world. Is there a way to do it?
Setting the object position directly it is not very realistic in terms of design, and it will not work when you want a simulation using dynamics or involving contact (which seems the case for a gripper).

A more realistic choice would be to use one (or more) joints: http://www.coppeliarobotics.com/helpFil ... iption.htm

You can enable the motor and the PID controller to have the joint move with a maximum velocity.

You would use simxSetJointTargetPosition to set the target position of the joint.