How does the physics engine handle the velocity and force that is computed in the PID controller?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
casperb

How does the physics engine handle the velocity and force that is computed in the PID controller?

Post by casperb »

Hello,

I am using a PID controller with ‘Motor enabled’ and ‘Control loop enabled’ to control a revolute robot joint. I am using Newton as a physics engine.

In http://www.coppeliarobotics.com/helpFil ... ctions.htm, I can see that the PID controller computes a joint velocity ‘outData.velocity’ and a force or torque ‘outData.force’, which is equal to the maximum force/torque.

My question is: how does the physics engine handle this velocity and torque? Is this done in the same way as for the case where the joint motor is enabled and the control loop is disabled? So, is the maximum force/torque ‘outData.force’ always applied until the velocity ‘outData.velocity’ is reached, as computed by the PID controller?

Thanks in advance.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How does the physics engine handle the velocity and force that is computed in the PID controller?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

yes, the physics engines will handle that situation as when the motor is enabled and the control loop disabled, i.e. the joint will accelerate with the given force/torque until the target velocity is reached.

Cheers