Trouble interfacing Matlab and V-rep successfully

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
bjsp33

Trouble interfacing Matlab and V-rep successfully

Post by bjsp33 » 23 Oct 2018, 17:52

For my Term project, I must successfully simulate an application of my choice using both Matlab and V-rep.

I have never used V-rep before so I am still learning by watching youtube tutorials, etc.

For my application, I have chosen to have Baxter "paint" a block by moving the left arm around the block. I have disabled every script except for the non-threaded child script which i added to the scene, and added the command "simRemoteApi.start(19999)" to the script to be able to connect V-rep and Matlab. The connection is successful and have even ran the test provided by V-rep called "simple test" to verify.

I have written some code to try and move one of Baxter's joints and it will not move in V-rep no matter what i change. I have successfully completed other tutorials on youtube such as the "turtlebot" and have referenced that when making my code and i am failing. I am not sure what is wrong with what I'm doing. Any help is appreciated.

% Run just once in a child script of a vrep scene just once
% simRemoteApi.start(19999)

vrep=remApi('remoteApi') ; % creates a remote api object and calls it vrep

vrep.simxFinish(-1); %closes any currently open connections

clientID=vrep.simxStart('127.0.0.1',19999,true,true,5000,5); %cretes a connection in a specifc port

% if no connection established -1 if greater than connection succesful

% if connection succesful

if (clientID>-1)

disp('Connected to remote API server');

% Handles

[returnCode,joint1]= vrep.simxGetObjectHandle(clientID,'Baxter_leftArm_joint1',vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;
%[returnCode,joint2]= vrep.simxGetObjectHandle(clientID,'Baxter_leftArm_joint2',vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;
%[returnCode,joint3]= vrep.simxGetObjectHandle(clientID,'Baxter_leftArm_joint3',vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;

% [returnCode,joint4]= vrep.simxGetObjectHandle(clientID,'Baxter_leftArm_joint4',vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;
% [returnCode,joint5]= vrep.simxGetObjectHandle(clientID,'Baxter_leftArm_joint5',vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;
% [returnCode,joint6]= vrep.simxGetObjectHandle(clientID,'Baxter_leftArm_joint6',vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;
% [returnCode,joint7]= vrep.simxGetObjectHandle(clientID,'Baxter_leftArm_joint7',vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;

%Other code

[returnCode]= vrep.simxSetJointTargetVelocity(clientID,joint1,5,vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;
pause(10)
[returnCode]= vrep.simxSetJointTargetVelocity(clientID,joint1,0,vrep.simx_opmode_blocking) ;

vrep.simxFinish(-1); %closes any currently open connections

end

vrep.delete();
%calls the destructor

amunishk

Re: Trouble interfacing Matlab and V-rep successfully

Post by amunishk » 02 Nov 2018, 07:02

Have you enabled the joint you wish to control?

If not, then click joint and click on "scene object properties > show dynamic properties dialog" and click on (1) motor enabled and (2) control loop enabled. Their defaults should work. "scene object properties" is located towards the left side usually.