Simulation time step selection

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
robotico

Simulation time step selection

Post by robotico »

Hello,

I work with the quadricopter on V-REP and I control the robot with my MATLAB code via RemoteAPI.
I work with the synchronous mode.
On V-REP, there is "Simulation time step" and in client side there is main loop execution time.
How should I select the optimum simulation time step?
Meanwhile, I have sliding probem with the robot while turning (it is like a car driven away the bend. When I want it to turn, Quadricopter's body rolling and yaw little. But it keeps the moving direction before the robot have begun turn). May be it is due to incorrect time step selection.
While it moves linear, it never reaches to translation value that I calculated for it. For example, I want it to move forward about 20cm in each step, but it moves less.

robotico

Re: Simulation time step selection

Post by robotico »

Hi Coppelia,

Nobody answered my question, I sincerely wait your response. If it is not understood well, sorry,I can be more clear.

Thanks in advance.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Simulation time step selection

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

your question is too vague. Not sure what the sliding you mention is.
As to the simulation time step: it is really up to you. You should know that the smaller the simulation time step, the slower the simulation will run, and the more often the sensors and scripts are handled. But the larger the simulation time step, the faster the simulation will run, but sensors and scripts might not be handled often enough. And Ik calculation might not be calculated often enough. In any case, the dynamics simulation time step will stay same, i.e. 5ms by default (in simulation time).

Cheers