Joint space trajectory planning?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
BiancaSan93

Joint space trajectory planning?

Post by BiancaSan93 » 05 Dec 2018, 16:50

Hi,
I need the joints in my robot model to follow a sinusoidal reference signal in the joint space. I find a lot of tutorials for motion planning in the cartesian space, but none in the joint space. Is there a way to do that? How do I define a trajectory for the joints to follow?
Thanks

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Joint space trajectory planning?

Post by coppelia » 06 Dec 2018, 08:19

Hello,

you have several possibilities to do so. You could directly apply desired joint positions to your joints via sim.setJointPosition or sim.setJointTargetPosition. Or you could use the Reflexxes Motion Library to drive to a desired joint configuration. For that, take for instance the demo robot Models/robots/non-mobile/UR10.ttm

Cheers

BiancaSan93

Post by BiancaSan93 » 06 Dec 2018, 15:02

Hi, thank you as usual for your quick and kind reply.
I understand how you can set a target position and make the joint follow it. However, I was wondering if it was possible to manually design the trajectories in the joint space, as you would with a path in the cartesian space. For example, I want the joints to follow a sinusoidal trajectory. Is there any way to do that? If I have to design it externally, how do I pass the reference signal so that the joints can move accordingly? Thanks in advance, you're the best

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia » 07 Dec 2018, 11:30

Yes, you can do that programmatically. You will have to create for instance a table that contains the desired joint angles, for a given moment in time. Then you can loop over that table and apply the joint values to your robot.

Cheers