Controlling BarretHand through Matlab

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
AHARR64

Controlling BarretHand through Matlab

Post by AHARR64 »

Hello,

I've been able to link Matlab and VREP together to control a kuka arm with relative ease, but when I try to control the BarretHand in a similar manner it doesnt work. I believe the issue is that the BarretHand has the interactive UI to control the hand, which interferes with commands coming from matlab. However, I haven't been able to get rid of the UI, and deleting all of the existing code just makes the hand shrivel up into a ball. Any advice on how to remove the UI all together so I can control the joints like any other joint?

Thanks in advance

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Controlling BarretHand through Matlab

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the Barrett hand model still uses old OpenGl-type custom UIs that won't be supported anymore in future. To remove them, edit value enableOpenGlBasedCustomUiEditor in file system/usrset.txt. Next time you start V-REP, you will be able to enter the old UI edition mode (using a toolbar button on the left hand side), and erase the old UI.
Then you will have to adjust the attached child script in order to be able to control the actuators from your remote API client.

Cheers

AHARR64

Re: Controlling BarretHand through Matlab

Post by AHARR64 »

Hi,

I was able to delete the UI following your instructions but I'm still having some trouble controlling the hand as it curls up into a ball the instant the simulation starts, regardless of whether or not there is even a script attached. I followed the same steps I used to control the KUKA arm with no luck. I've attached a gif of what happens when the simulation runs.

https://gyazo.com/632d725f5778f219319cfeb7216b43a8

Thanks