Place and keep dynamic model in the air

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Jendker

Place and keep dynamic model in the air

Post by Jendker »

I am working on the dynamic robotic hand and would like to place in the arbitrary position in the air, so that I could grab some objects from the given position and orientation.

I wanted to use the code presented here: viewtopic.php?t=6794 and it works fine for the position setting, but is there actually any way of keeping the dynamic model in the air? There is for example Quadricopter.ttm model, which is flying but I am not sure if something similar would be a solution for me if I am changing the position (also the height and orientation) frequently....

I was trying out also placing the hand on the robotic arm, but didn't work that stable, because of undesired trajectory tracking with the robotic arm, so I would rather resort to this the theoretically simpler solution.

fferri

Re: Place and keep dynamic model in the air

Post by fferri »

You can use a joint to connect your dynamic model to a static object. E.g. if you use a prismatic joint, you achieve motion in one axis.

Build a kinematic chain of 3 orthogonal prismatic joints (static object --> prismatic joint x --> body 1 --> prismatic joint y --> body 2 --> prismatic joint z --> your model), and you can translate your model in x,y,z. That would be the same as a PPP robotic arm. Make it PPPRRR to have also the 3 degrees of freedom for rotation.