About sensor frequency problem

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
lyz

About sensor frequency problem

Post by lyz »

Dear all,

Now I have built my own robot, it has two sick lasers and four kinect cameras, and I pub the corresponding topic and tf relationship to ROS at the same time.

First, I set the Simulation time step to 50ms. However, the published topic frequency is about 5 to 6Hz. When I turned off the four kinect cameras, the laser data released by the two lidar is basically 20Hz. Through the forum, I also didn't find the right way to solve it. In this link http://forum.coppeliarobotics.com/ ... ncy#p30316, there are some Suggestions put forward by the host of the forum, so I set the explicit handling of the sensors, which can control the switch of the sensor, but also cannot reach the release frequency of 20Hz. I set the simulation time step to 10ms, but it doesn't matter that much. I also tested it on a highly configured computer, and the results were the same.

Can someone help me please? I would appreciate it very much. Thanks a lot.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: About sensor frequency problem

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you basically have two options:
  • Make the simulation run faster. There are many ways you can achieve. First identify the bottleneck (your vision sensors probably). As you briefly mentioned, you can reduce the frequency at which the sensors are handled. For that, set the to explicit handling, and handle them e.g. every 200ms of simulation time. Another way would be to reduce the resolution of the vision sensors. Or you can ignore the RGB info (or the depth info) of your vision sensors, this will also slightly speed-up operation of the vision sensors.
  • Adjust your external application to run with a virtual time. And have your external application trigger each simulation step of V-REP, so that V-REP and your external application run synchronously.
Cheers