How to get the coordinates in the camera frame?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Uio96

How to get the coordinates in the camera frame?

Post by Uio96 » 12 Nov 2019, 18:22

Hi there, I'm trying to transform the coordinates from a local frame to the camera frame. It's a simple task and I just followed steps in like http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~16385/s17/Slides ... matrix.pdf like \(X_c = R(X_l - C)\)

\(X_c\) represents coordinates in the camera frame, \(R\) represents rotation matrix from local frame to camera frame, \(X_l\) represents coordinates in the local frame, \(C\) represents the center of the camera in the local frame.

It is very easy to write codes like

Code: Select all

_,camera_position=vrep.simxGetObjectPosition(self.sim_client,self.cam_handle,object_handle,vrep.simx_opmode_blocking)
_,camera_orientation=vrep.simxGetObjectOrientation(self.sim_client,self.cam_handle,object_handle,vrep.simx_opmode_blocking)

trans_object2camera_full = np.eye(4, dtype=float)
trans_object2camera_full[0:3, 3] = -camera_position[0], -camera_position[1], -camera_position[2]
rotate_object2camera_full = np.eye(4, dtype=float)
rotate_object2camera_full[0:3, 0:3] = R.from_euler('XYZ', camera_orientation).as_dcm()
transform_object2camera = np.matmul(rotate_object2camera_full, trans_object2camera_full)
camera_vertices = np.matmul(transform_object2camera, local_vertices)
However, when I try to check the calculated coordinates of the center of the local frame in the camera frame, it does not match with the ground truth by using

Code: Select all

_, camera_vertices_truth = vrep.simxGetObjectPosition(self.sim_client, object_handle, self.cam_handle, vrep.simx_opmode_blocking)
I am still very confused. Could you give me some advice? Thanks a lot.

Uio96

Re: How to get the coordinates in the camera frame?

Post by Uio96 » 13 Nov 2019, 04:15

Hi there, I think I find another way to deal with it. Just use simGetObjectMatrix api to get the transformation matrix. I guess the previous problem is that I was not sure how to calculate the transformation matrix using pos and euler information. The exact relationship in vrep still remains ambiguous to me.

I think this post may have somthing to do this my problem. But I guess there are some typos in the given matrix viewtopic.php?t=975

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How to get the coordinates in the camera frame?

Post by coppelia » 14 Nov 2019, 09:29

Hello,

you can set/get positions/EulerAngles/Matrices in an absolute fashion, but also in a relative fashion (i.e. relative to another object), via following API functions:
The second argument of above functions is what allows you to specify relative to what you want the information.

For other matrix operations, have a look here

Cheers