vrep problem with proximity sensors

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Schindler

vrep problem with proximity sensors

Post by Schindler »

Hello,

I have a problem or a bug:
In some scenes I cannot include sensors, otherwise vrep crashes at simulation start. Proximity sensors are dangerous. I have not found any system or regularity, under which circumstances this problem appears.
If I uncheck the box 'Enable all proximity sensors' in the sensor dialog, I may let the simulation run and it starts, but then I cannot access the sensor information. If I check this box, the scene crashes respectively vrep is in a lock - I cannot interact with vrep even if I wait a long time - and I need to stop vrep via the activity manager. The activity manager says that vrep does not react and the cpu is overloaded (mostly99,9% sometimes>100%).
I am using vrep 3.0.4 for mac. I am not sure if I did anything wrong or if this is a bug.
Would the new update help me to avoid this problem?

Thank you for your help.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: vrep problem with proximity sensors

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

that is very strange, we haven't heard of problems related to proximity sensors. Could you post a scene where the problem occurs? We understand that the problem does not always happen, but we need a given setting that might trigger the problem.

You can try to switch to version 3.0.5, but on Mac it seems there are several problems related to the new Qt version. Make sure you read the release notes on the download page.

Quick question: have you enabled work threads? (check the user settings page). Also, are you using a custom build or the default build?

Cheers

Schindler

Post by Schindler »

Here you find the scene where the problem appears, if the proximity sensor is enabled.
This problem appears always - it is not dependent on work threads.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/469 ... r_Prob.ttt
I use the default settings for the smulation

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Thank you for that file. The problem seems to be linked to the large floor, object WoodenFloor. There is a bug in the calculation structure processing routine. As a work-around, you can set the Maximum triangle size in the environment settings to a larger value (e.g. 3.0). Sorry about that.

Cheers